Grgsm_livemon with changes still only works with RTL

Hi so I’ve cloned and built gr_gsm from the following link and as far as I’m aware have all required dependencies.

But for some reason it still only works with an RTL dongle and not my Limeusb and help would be appreciated.

Console output:
Warning: failed to XInitThreads()
QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to ‘/tmp/runtime-root’
gr-osmosdr 0.1.5 (0.1.5) gnuradio 3.7.11
built-in source types: file fcd rtl rtl_tcp rfspace redpitaya
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/grgsm_livemon”, line 364, in
main()
File “/usr/local/bin/grgsm_livemon”, line 352, in main
tb = top_block_cls(args=options.args, collector=options.collector, collectorport=options.collectorport, fc=options.fc, gain=options.gain, osr=options.osr, ppm=options.ppm, samp_rate=options.samp_rate, serverport=options.serverport, shiftoff=options.shiftoff)
File “/usr/local/bin/grgsm_livemon”, line 107, in init
self.rtlsdr_source_0 = osmosdr.source( args=“numchan=” + str(1) + " " + args )
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/osmosdr/osmosdr_swig.py”, line 1170, in make
return _osmosdr_swig.source_make(*args, **kwargs)
RuntimeError: No supported devices found (check the connection and/or udev rules).

1 Like

Your gr-osmosdr is built without soapy support

RuntimeError: No supported devices found (check the connection and/or udev rules).

and as a result your device is not found.

It turns out that grgsm_livemon and grgsm_livemon_headless are still not migrated to the LimeSuite Source block and only the grgsm_scanner was.

Go in the gr-gsm’s source directory, open ./apps/grgsm_livemon.grc with gnuradio-companion, replace the RTL-SDR Source block with LimeSuite Source , right click on it and fill all fields and then rebuild F5 and execute F6

Hi thanks for the reply, I’m trying to rebuild gr-osmosdr with soapy enabled, what version is required? I have the latest but cmake is unable to find when building so I’ve forced soapy support with cmake …/ -DENABLE_SOAPY=ON

This has failed to build correctly. Soapy was originally installed from the repositories so shouldn’t be an issue?

I don’t know.

Which gr-osmosdr version are you trying to compile and from which repository did you get it?

In case you are getting it from git.osmocom.org you need to get the gr3.7 branch or v0.1.5 tag for gnuradio 3.7 compatibility.

I have the latest but cmake is unable to find when building so I’ve forced soapy support with cmake …/ -DENABLE_SOAPY=ON

This has failed to build correctly. Soapy was originally installed from the repositories so shouldn’t be an issue?

Which Linux distribution do you use and which version?

In case you are using Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic then make sure you have installed the soapysdr’s development package - sudo apt-get install libsoapysdr-dev

Thanks for the support on this, it was indeed a problem with soapysdr-dev not being installed. I have now downloaded and installed, Ive recompiled gr-osmosdr with soapy support and its working :slight_smile:

The problem now is that although the program runs (grgsm_livemon) theres no output on the console like on grgsm with an rtl and also a big center spike in the signal no matter what freq i tune to. (picture below). The changes I’ve made to grgsm_livemon.grc
1 replace the rtl block with limesdr one
2 changed both gain variable and slider to int as float was causing problems.

Built with osmocom source blocks fixed the problem for me. Thanks for all the help.

I don’t know why it was not working with the lime source block. I no longer have access to a limesdr device so I can’t really test and help here.

Built with osmocom source blocks fixed the problem for me. Thanks for all the help.

It’s great that you’ve been able to make it work with the osmocom source block. Note that the osmocom source and the RTL-SDR source blocks are practically one and the same block with two different names.

[quote=“vvvelichkov, post:8, topic:5778, full:true”]

I’m assuming that its a product of the IQ samples and that there is no correction in the Lime source block as there is in the RTL and osmo ones.

But yeah for future reference build gr-osmosdr with soapy support (soapy-dev package needed also) and for livemon and headless livemon change the .grc files to osmocom source with the same parameter as the existing RTL and args soapy=0,driver=lime

Thanks again vvvelichkov