Errors if oversample=1

I’m trying to generate a GFSK signal at 450Mhz using gnuradio-3.7.13-4-4build1 (Ubuntu 19.10 amd64) and a LimeSDR-mini.

If I set oversample=1, then I get the following errors. However, leaving oversample at “Default”, it works. So I have a work around, but the bug might be useful to someone.

LimeSuite and gr-limesdr were built from source (stable and master branches respectively).

Here is the gnuradio-companion log:

LimeSuite Sink (TX) info

##################
Connecting to device
##################
LimeSuite version: 19.04.0-gabf82140
gr-limesdr version: 2.1.4
##################
Device list:
Nr.:0 device:LimeSDR Mini, media=USB 3.0, module=FT601, addr=24607:1027, serial=1D53BA19C07646
##################
INFO: device_handler::open_device(): no serial number. Using first device in the list.
Use “LimeUtil --find” in terminal to find prefered device serial.
Reference clock 40.00 MHz
Using device: LimeSDR-Mini(1D53BA19C07646) GW: 1.28 FW: 6
##################

INFO: device_handler::enable_channels(): SISO CH0 set for device number 0.
INFO: device_handler::set_samp_rate(): set sampling rate: 0.072 MS/s.
INFO: device_handler::set_oversampling(): SetFrequencyCGEN(0.288 MHz) - cannot deliver requested frequency
Followed by a Python crash and libusb errors…

Hello robodan65,

That isn’t really a bug, a “Default” selection configures oversampling automatically, meaning it could be configured as high as 32.

Thanks for following up.

So you are saying there is an (undocumented) minimum sampling rate.

There might be a nicer way to communicate that than dumping core…

The smallest analogue filter for RX after the mixer is 1.4 MHz.
The smallest analogue filter for TX before the mixer is 2.4MHz.

There is a complex document that I use to find out the publicly documented LMS7002M registers that control the LMS7002M chip, plug “LMS7002M SPIRegs” into your search engine of choice (I’m not going to paste a direct link because there may be a later version of the document than the one I’m using - Version 01, Revision 18).

But you are right when someone demands a sample rate of 72 KSPS and wants to disable TSP decimation and force a 1.4 MHz of bandwidth to be folded into 72 kHz generating lots of aliases there should be a warning and crashing is the wrong kind of warning.

1 Like