Can we completely convert a GNU Radio flowgraph file into a verilog file to run the LimeSDR mini independent of an external computer?

Hi everyone,
Greetings to all…

As far as from my experience with gnu radio and limeSDR mini i would like to know whether it is possible to convert the complete GRC file into a verilog file for running the FPGA as the host system without any external PC. And by giving the data stream to the SDR, will it be able to transmit and receive the signal same as using GRC?

Thanks & Regards,

Vinayak MK

If the question is, can you do this automatically, trivially or even just generally, the answer is likely, no.

If the questions is, can you study the operation of a GNU Radio flow graph that does something in particular and that is suited to being implemented in the FPGA, then rewrite this in Verilog, the answer is, possibly.

I’m afraid the question is far too vague. If you have a flowgraph that, for example, transmits a tone, receives and retransmits frames in a simple manner, or turns an indicator on when it detects a signal, this seems achievable. But if you want to run a complex stack with a wideband air interface, without any host, this seems unlikely.

2 Likes

Dear @vinayak,

There is NO WAY to directly convert .grc file to work in FPGA. FPGA is far more complex than .grc and GNU Radio. GNU Radio is great for testing, development or education purposes. FPGA is good when you need top performance and perfect timing however it takes A LOT more time to implement the same signal processing as in GNU Radio.

2 Likes

Thank you so much sir.

Thank you so much for your valuable response.
I want make a QPSK transmitter system using LimeSDR mini, without GNU radio. Therefore the SDR should perform the DSP and RF, only the data will come through USB. Can you help me to find some similar projects @Osvald @andrewback

I’m not aware of any and it sounds as though you might be best contracting someone with the relevant skills and experience to do this. If you’re looking for a quick how-to guide or similar, you’re going to be disappointed.

1 Like

I must agree with @andrewback. Usually it takes advanced engineering skills and time in order to create system that solves your problem. FPGA is a great tool to learn to work with and LimeSDR boards are great to implement DSP you are talking about. However this is not as easy as GNU Radio flow graph.

1 Like

How about for something as basic as a repeater with a CTCSS tone squelch?