SDRAngel Rx & Tx

Hello,

it will have to be some sort of macro because this is not something desirable for every usage. Remember LimeSDR and also BladeRF which is supported are full duplex devices so sometimes one may want to have Rx and Tx run both at the same time. Then you would tie this macro to a key of your choice. In addition LimeSDR is in fact a 2x2 MIMO so you will have to decide which Rx you associate to which Tx this could possibly be a parameter of your macro or you would simply associate tabs and it will be up to you to put the right device in the right tab.

For the GPIOs this is also hardware specific and in fact in the macro you could associate a shell command that would do the right job.

Best regards, Edouard.

Thanks for the feedback Edouard, some food for thoughtā€¦

Thanks! I am always interested in functional suggestions. I just opened this ticket: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/issues/49

Best regards, Edouard.

2 Likes

@F4EXB @brendanthebig @Axeman @Kc7noa @9a4db @gerryk ,

First off, I want to thank ALL of you of you for the help over the past couple of days - the information you provided will be the basis for ā€˜clean installsā€™ for anyone wanting to get in and use HF/VHF/UHF with their LimeSDRs with SDRAngel - that information is priceless and I thank you again for ALL of it.

This morning, at about 10:15 AM local time, I was able to get my Ubuntu 16.04 setup going and WORKING PERFECT with the LimeSDR on SDRAngel 3.5.5. I have a video I will post later this evening when I get done with some renovation work I have in Belle Plaine today that will show my V1.4 LimeSDR transmitting on 7.0 MHz HF without ANY delay at all in the transmitted audio. You cannot imagine what a big step this is for the LimeSDRā€¦A LOT of us have been waiting for this moment for nearly a year and for me itā€™s been 18 months - but the time arrived for the LimeSDR to enter the fray of a transceiver building block for Ham Radio FINALLYā€¦!!

Again, this is a big moment in time - we finally have a SDR building block that can now be applied to other system components (PA, LPF, Preselectors, matching units, etc) to make the LimeSDR a fundamental player in the Amateur Radio market for developers and ā€˜Radio Makersā€™ - not to say it wasnā€™t there on other fronts.

Thank you all again - this is your time to bask in the LIMElightā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

3 Likes

I have noticed that while my LimeSDR is connected as a sink device in sdrangel, there is always a signal being transmitted even with T1 stopped. This signal stops when I exit from sdrangel. Is this normal behaviour ? Is anybody else experiencing this ? Is there any way to stop it ?

Kindest regards,
Brendan Jenkins,
VK3WWB.

Thanks a lot Marty for your dedication and relentlessness in having SDRangel working with the LimeSDR. You certainly helped a lot in making it better.

FYI I just succeeded in building a 32 bit version for Windows in my Windows10 Virtualbox machine and I was successful in starting it hence I have no more OpenGL issues in the Virtualbox. It seems a small step but can open the way to the return of Windows support.

Note: the just uploaded sdrangel_v3.5.5.7z in the releases section sees and runs my LimeSDR!

Best regards, Edouard.

1 Like

Hello Brendan,

I have to check the behaviour with the other devices. Anyway it seems reasonable to have the stop action actually stopping.

Best regards, Edouard.

Iā€™ve noticed the LimeSDR will always just keep doing the last thing it was doing. Do you have a subroutine to tell it to stop? It would have to be an interrupt kind of subroutine that does housekeeping. Check and see if something is not as it should be and do an update. Iā€™m sorry that I have not read through the code at all as I am spread across many projects, as always, right now. I think Iā€™ll work on some adult beverage testingā€¦

Hello Edouard,

with further testing I have found that I donā€™t have to even start T1 for the LimeSDR to be outputting a signal. If I select a TX antenna, it will start outputting a signal until I close sdrangel.

Hope this info helps.

Kindest regards,
Brendan Jenkins,
VK3WWB.

@F4EXB - Edouard,

Thanks so much for the kind words, Edouard - None of this would be possible without your groundbreaking transceiver app for the Lime. Iā€™m glad youā€™re going to continue Windows development for the SDR because there are a number of Hams who are not Linux users and would be lost without your app - so Iā€™m real happy to hear that you were able to get a build working for Win 10.

Again, thanks for the kind words and continue on the great work. Iā€™ll be posting some observations of my own over the next few days as I play with HF/VHF/UHF on my Lime - stay tunedā€¦!

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Hello Brendan,

this is a real issue due to the fact that LMS_EnableChannel is used only in open/close the device method. It should be moved to start/stop which complicates things a bit since you also have to handle the stream management. However a fix should be possible.

Note: ticket opened: https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/issues/50

Best regards, Edouard.

2 Likes

Still struggling here.
My results with software built on Ubuntu 16.04 have not been successful though everything looks OK.
Same on openSUSE Tumbleweed both with locally built software and the openSUSE packages.

sdrangel comes up but I cannot get R1 frequency adjusted. Setting the sink to T1 I can adjust the frequency.
I suspect I have a configuration problem somewhere.

rpm -q limesuite sdrangel

limesuite-17.06.0-1.3.x86_64
sdrangel-3.5.5-1.1.x86_64

LimeUtil --find

@sboyce - Sid,

Looks like you have another instance of the LimeSDR open - try this. Remove that instance (use the same menu bar item and look for ā€˜Remove Last Deviceā€™) and then go back to the R0 pane. On that pane, click the checkmark to instantiate the LimeSDR settings and youā€™ll notice A LOT of changes added to the radio form. Once that happens, then just find a demodulator (AM, FM, SSB, etc) that you want to use, click on the (+) symbol next to it and on the right that demod will be present in the rightmost pane of the window for you to use and tune, too. Be sure to look through this entire thread to see the settings for sampling rate, interpolation, decimation, etc to set up the leftmost pane that controls the radio - there are threads that answer on this because I was the one with the original questions about itā€¦ :slight_smile:

Also, when setting up a ā€˜Sinkā€™ window you follow the same rules - click on the checkmark to instantiate the LimeSDR settings and then set up a modulator from the menu bar.

Let us know how you get a long - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

The LimeSDR can have two receivers and two transmitters, all going at the same time. Maybe SDRAngel can be made to run all of this?

1 Like

@Axeman - Lance,

I would think running a second instance of a Source and Sink would instantiate that way, but the only person that knows that better than we do is @F4EXB himselfā€¦Maybe Edouard can shed some light on that for usā€¦

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Hello,

Marty was right what is missing is clicking on the checkmark button to validate the choice you make in the combo box. In the state seen in the screenshot it uses the default file source plugin. Changing device is a fairly heavy process so it is not practical to change each time you flip through the combo hence the second step for validation.

You can start the second instance of the Rx by opening a new Rx tab with ā€œDevices -> Add source deviceā€ then you choose the same LimeSDR in the combo and validate with the checkmark button. There are some common parameters (for example the sample rate if I remember right) so if you change it on one side it will change on the other.

To start the Tx side simultaneously you follow similar steps but add a Tx tab instead with ā€œDevices -> Add sink deviceā€. You can also run the two Tx simultaneously.

To process samples the Rx uses LMS_RecvStream and Tx uses LMS_SendStream with the lms_stream_t parameter to drive which Rx or Tx instance (channel) is used. I am not sure this guarantees the sample synchronization between both channels.

Best regards, Edouard.

@F4EXB - Edouard,

Does that second instance then connect itself to the second Lowband receive path on the LimeSDR (as in RX2_L)? Please let us know how to get the second receiver of the LimeSDR operating, too.

Also - and this is a completely off-the-wall question - but there are Hams I work with that would like to use hardware controls for tuning, mode selection, volume, etc but maintain the base software to work on a ARM or other portable target processors that SDRAngel can compile to. Iā€™m not asking for a new spin of software, but would it be possible to ā€˜hard wireā€™ hardware controls (encoders, etc) to be read by SDRAngel such that the overall ā€˜radio controlā€™ using the LimeSDR is partially HW controlled and ā€˜hard-wiredā€™ in the code for things such as sample rate, interpolation, decimation, etc that work for HF? Please let me know if itā€™s possible to - instead of the QT form - to implement code that reads hardware controls and then send that to the appropriate place in the SDRAngel code to make those changes instead of from a GUI. There is interest in making this ARM-based controller such that a spectrum display isnā€™t necessary for receive or transmit. Let me know your thoughts on that, Edouard if this is a ā€˜leap of faithā€™ to implement if we dug into the code ourselves to perform that implementation.

I tried the Win32 Win10 version of SDRAngel this evening when I got home and was not able to see the LimeSDR on my Windows 10 64-Bit machine. But the earlier versions (that are 64-Bit) can see the Lime. I know there are Hams out there what want to use SDRAngel with their LimeSDR on Windows. Right now, I prefer the Linux installation because it appears to react faster than the Win10 version - just trying to help the Win-based Hams out there.

On testing the 3.5.5 on Linux - On my Linux box on Ubuntu 16.04, when I run transmit for the first time on a newly launched window I still get the 6-second delay until I kind of ā€˜kick-startā€™ it by adjusting the sampling rate forward and then back to its setting - then it will work perfect and stay that way without the delay. Just letting you know about that bug - it does this to me every time I start a fresh window of SDRAngel.

Also, when I looked at my HP 8530B when the SDRAngel is not transmitting, I can confirm that there is a carrier out there at a lower power level but apparent at the tuned frequency. This is an observation that I think @brendanthebig Brendan or @Axeman Lance may have pointed out already - Iā€™m just confirming that now. When the transmit button is clicked, then it works perfectly and the power level and modulation are apparent.

Okay - thatā€™s my load of info right now. Iā€™m off to go play with SDRAngel againā€¦! :slight_smile:

73 Edouard, de Marty, KN0CK

@sboyce - Sid,

I meant to ask earlierā€¦Are you running this on Windows or on Linux? Please let me know - I have observed the issue youā€™re having with Windows, but please let me know.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

I just did a quick test with dual receivers set up. Seems that the freq canā€™t be set independently on R0 and R1 with the LimeSDR. If I change freq on R0 it also changes on R1. I havenā€™t tested antenna selections yet. I will give that a go after I come back from the place that you have to do things to earn money to pay for this hobbyā€¦

Hello Brendan,

this is normal. If you have a look at the LMS7002M block diagram: http://www.limemicro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/LMS7002M-Data-Sheet-v2.8.0.pdf you will see that the LO feeds both channels. Only the Tx and Rx LOs are independent. Another important thing to notice is that all ADCs and DACs share the same clock which means that all sample rates are entangled.

Best regards, Edouard.