SDRAngel Rx & Tx

Hello @F4EXB,
I just downloaded the latest version of SDRAngel for Windows 7 64Bit, and found it would not detect my LimeSDR, I then remembered vaguely that there was a trick to getting it working on a windows machine and scrolling back to July I found the posts about the replacement liblimesuite.dll https://discourse.myriadrf.org/t/stand-alone-transceiver-app-for-the-limesdr-whos-first/1139/117, I replaced the file and presto everything appears to be working fine. Two reasons for this post, one to see if it is possible to get the source files updated so that this error is no longer a problem, or if it cant be done, then this post can act as a reminder / place holder for users doing an install at the start of this year, particularly with the mini coming along soon.

Replacement liblimesuite.dll

As always, excellent software package, keep up the good work.

Regards,
Bevan

Hello Brendan,
I can confirm I am having the same issue, after random lengths of time of receiving a local FM station (yeah I know ā€œBrain the size of the universe, and here I am parking carsā€) SDRAngel spectrum stops updating, audio output ceases, looking at the LEDā€™s on the LimeSDR, I see one LED flashing red to show there is a pulse of data around every second (is normally on solid RED when data is being decoded). To recover, I have to disconnect and then reconnect the LimeSDR to the USB3 connector, click on the Sampling Device Refresh button, then can restart the sampling device. I do not have to shutdown SDRAngel to recover. The PC that I am doing this testing on is Windows 7 64bit older laptop, installed Pothos today, but have not updated the firmware on the LimeSDR which is reporting as FW 3, HW 4, GW 2 Rev 8, via LimeSuite 17.12.0 build date 2017-12-31.

Regards,
Bevan

PS Additional information: I have now just noticed, while the data coming back from the LimeSDR for decoding the RF signal seems to have stopped, interestingly I can shutdown the SDRAngel software and restart it (without cycling power to the LimeSDR) and see the software is able to read the Limeā€™s temperature, just not get the RF data, maybe this will help someone to identify what part of the communication chain is falling over.

PSS I have now used LimeSuite to see what data it can read from the LimeSDR, and it is showing the classic GW 0 Rev 0 error, reseting the LimeSDR (cycling power to it) returns the GW 2 Rev 8

Hi Bevan,

your symptoms are slightly different to mine. I can get streaming started again by pressing stop and then start in the SAMPLING DEVICE section of SDRAngel. No need to power refresh my LimeSDR.
I did try downgrading my firmware/gateware but it did not fix the problem. I have now moved my LimeSDR to a different USB3 port and so far all is working well (has only been 15 minutes so far). Iā€™ll see how it goes over the next few days.

Kindest regards,
Brendan Jenkins,
VK3WWB.

Hello Brendan,

I thought I had gotten on top of the issue also by changing to CubicSDR and it ran for around 15mins and then stopped, once again LimeSuite said GW0 Rev0, I have now tried direct connection to the laptop excluding the Y lead supplied with the LimeSDR, so far (fingers crossed, touch wood etc.) it has ran for another 25 minutes with out issue, So I have now switched back to SDRAngel for retesting. Will continue this test for a little while, but I am not a fan of the LimeSDR hardware being rigidly connected to the PC, too easy to damage either connector if pressure applied in a upward or downward direction. If this test proves successful then I will try the 1.5M USB3 lead I normally use for DATV transmissions with the Lime.

Regards,
Bevan

The LimeSDR seems to be very fussy when it comes to USB3 cables. I have seen many people have problems, even with ones supplied with the unit.

I have now had the LimeSDR running for an hour directly connected to the Laptop and seems to be working fine, so yes does look like it is a poor cable was causing my issue

1 Like

Mine seems to be working fine since moving to a different USB3 portā€¦One happy chappy here.

Now that I think of it, one thing I didnā€™t try was a restart of my PC (I have it running 24/7). I might try plugging my LimeSDR back into the USB3 port that was causing the problem, restart my PC and see how that goesā€¦

Me too

Hello,

I don 't undestand why you need to change liblimesuite.dll. There must be something funny here. The liblimesuite.dll that comes with SDRangel is a compilation of the LimeSuite library from source using an MinGW toolchain. It looks like the dll you are replacing it with is one that uses the Cypress driver and should use a MVC toolchain so I am wondering how this can even work. The only requirement of SDRangelā€™s liblimesuite.dll is libusb support that you can get with the usual Zadig tool. Cypress driver is closed source so there is no chance in incorporating it in the build process. The compiled liblimesuite.dll woorks perfectly fine on my Win7 laptop.

Best regards, Edouard.

1 Like

Hello Edouard,
The process I followed was to install the latest build of Pothos for X64, I then installed SDRAngel 3.10.0 from the Github Releases. When I ran SDRAngel I only had FileSource and SDRdaemonSource as possible sampling devices. I proved that LimeSuite could see the LimeSDR but still no access from SDRAngel. I then replaced the dll file and was able to use the LimeSDR as a Source.
I may have another laptop that has not had either LimeSuite or SDRAngel installed on it to do the whole process again, but I know it doesnā€™t have USB3.
Regards,
Bevan

Before going onto try a different machine I conducted an experiment on my current machine, I put the liblimesuite.dll back that was installed from the SDRAngel Release and was no longer able to open the LimeSDR as a Sampling Source, which certainly points to the differences in these files is critical to the operation of the SDRAngel. I have not used the Zadig on this PC at all.

I guess a question that can be asked of the wider audience, has anyone had success with running SDRAngel and using LimeSDR as the radio on a windows 64bit machine without replacing the liblimesuite.dll file?

Let me know if there are any other tests I can do to identify the true cause of this issue

Regards,
Bevan

Hi Bevan,

I am currently using SDRAngel on a Win7 x64 PC with my LimeSDR and it is working fine. As Edouard mentioned in an earlier post, you need to use ZADIG to REPLACE the cypress drivers that Limesuite uses. I think the method you are using (replacing liblimesuite.dll) was a hack that someone may have used a while back. Edouard doesnā€™t use the cypress drivers as they are not open source and as such, to use them, payment would be required.

If you need help getting ZADIG drivers installed, let us know.

Kindest regards,
Brendan Jenkins,
VK3WWB.

Hello Brendan and Edouard,

My bad, I miss read Edouardā€™s response, I failed to realise that the use of Zadig was required for SDRAngel to work, doesnā€™t this lead to a situation where you have to reinstall the cypress LimeSDR drivers to use LimeSuite or other utilities designed for the LimeSDR?

Regards,
Bevan

That is correct. It is a little annoying but not a major issue to swap between the 2 different drivers for the LimeSDR.

UPDATE ON SDRAngel 3.11ā€¦

Iā€™ve tried the latest version of SDRAngel (3.11.0-1) for both Windows 10 (64 bit) and for Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful) and it works incredibly wellā€¦! This is a great version to try and Iā€™ve not run into any issues with it yet. More as I have more checkout and testing with it completed, but SDRAngel just keeps getting better and better with each release. It was tested with the original LimeSDR but also works great with the Lime-Mini, tooā€¦!

73 de Marty, KN0CK

3 Likes

What magic you using?
I installed the zadig driver so it is listed as limesdr mini now but sdrangel canā€™t find the device at all

OK, I am having an odd problem:
TX at 442 Mhz 123.0 PL tone to hit a local repeater. Told that I am getting in, but have a bad 60 or 120 Hz signal along with my voice. It ā€œISā€ tripping the PL tone on the repeater. I can see the noise on the display, too.

Ed

If anyone is having problems with their HF and below presets with the latest version of Windows SDRAngel (3.14.0), it seems that due to the extra parameter being stored in the preset (audio device per demodulator), it has upset the NCO settings. To fix it, load a preset, turn off NCO, reset main frequency to 30MHZ and turn NCO back on again. Should work ok after this. Donā€™t forget to save the settings after doing this.

Not sure if this happens on Linux versions as I have not tested it on Linux.

Regards,
Brendan Jenkins,
VK3WWB.

What is your sample rate for Tx ā€¦ try to keep it above 4MSPS or so ā€¦

Just a thought ā€¦

@brendanthebig - Brendan,

Since the latest SDRAngel release the the transmit is screwed up because of the LimeSuite updatesā€¦So Iā€™m waiting for the dust to settle before loading a new image of SDRAngelā€¦things are just too much in flux for it to work right.

73 de Marty, KN0CK