RPI3 Heat Sinks on Limesdr-mini

what about warranty?
i dont think i did anything un usual to break the 1.8v voltage regulator

looks like i might have found the problem.
in the picture its the voltage regulator on the left.
a capacitator came off.
i found the cap.
not sure how to solder it on

THat (I think) is a DC to DC converter module. It may need to be completely replaced. Look it up in the BOM file & Mouser & the like probably have it.
Please go to a circuit board company for repairs. If not, find someone local that is experienced in SMD rework. Otherwise, you run the risk of messing up the copper traces. Trust me, it is not for the inexperienced.

Ed

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Murata-Electronics/LXDC55KAAA-205?qs=Jp4yxA3Y%2FLwvww1X62uIsQ%3D%3D

THat’s the part on Mouser. Get a couple, as they are listed as “End of Life”.

Ed

thanks for the info.
cant i just solder the cap that came off?
if i order a couple of the converters can i remove one of its cap’s and put them on my board thats still on the mini?
would be great to just order the missing caps

Likely that the capacitor came off with the PCB pads…so soldering this back might require major skills. Of course since you have the missing cap, you could just try to mess around with that, i mean things cant get much worse for you - probably you will end up replacing the whole converter anyways.

The shipping costs more than the part. I would just do it right. I cannot see enough pad to properly solder to. But, say you do solder it in and it works. What happens when it gets bumped & the cap falls off? Most likely shorting out something more costly than the $4.12 new part.

Ed

just ordered two of those dc to dc converters and low temp solder paste.
when it gets here will take a better look to see how to do it.

this is what i ordered

not sure if i can just put the cap on that came off but hope i can

GREAT NEWS!

its working.
yayyyy!

3 Likes

Excellent !!!

Ed

Good to hear! Did you replace the whole chip or just resoldered the capacitor?

whole chip