My LimeSDR is dropping frames

My first thoughts are to use the aluminium case that goes with the @luftek end plates.
Then to buy some aluminium square bar cut to the right length and add thermal foam pads to
one end of each (the end that will press against the chip). The other end of the bar will be bolted
to the case.

When the case is closed the bars/pads will gently push against the main chips taking the heat out to the case.
I can then add a standard large heatsink to the outside of the case and a thermally controlled fan like those
mentioned by @Zack .

I really donā€™t like the idea of blowing air over the board as what ever you do it will accumulate a layer
of sticky dust which will act like a thermal blanket.

• Charles

[quote=ā€œg4guo, post:21, topic:881, full:trueā€]
When the case is closed the bars/pads will gently push against the main chips taking the heat out to the case.
I can then add a standard large heatsink to the outside of the case and a thermally controlled fan like those [/quote]

The pad idea is interesting. I donā€™t know how much pressure these parts can take and alignment might be tricky.

This is true and with so many small parts the potential for problems goes up as dust, etc. accumulates.

Sounds right that itā€™s heat. Do you have a way to read the temps besides finger test? I ask only because it would be interesting to generate a heat profile for these. I have to find my infrared thermometer and do that.

Therefore my solution blowing only internal air / disipating the heat on box walls
and second heatsink with fan is outside on the box top.

This is the method Red Pitaya use in their diecast case.
I found some 2 mm thick thermal pad on eBay (usually used for GPUs etc).
The centres of the main chips on the Lime are inline so it shouldnā€™t be too difficult
to drill the holes. You can get 10 mm and 20 mm square Aluminium bar on eBay.

The biggest problem will be cutting the square bar flat and to the right length.
I can always put a washer in there made out of copper sheet if I over do the cut.

You can get copper sheet of various thicknessā€™s (again on eBay).
I even found some heatsinks the same dimensions as the case.

Worth a try anyway.

• Charles

Interesting that one of those parts is listed as ā€œActiveā€ and they have 0 stock and the other is listed as ā€œLast Time Buyā€ for 2017-12-31 and they have ~12,000 with EOL announced on July 2016.

FWIW I am going to use a slow fan that just recirculates air internally and one like these mounted externally.

@leoha if youā€™re curious about the power usage hereā€™s a good synopsis:
I wonder if anyone has a USB3 power doctor to check the real numbers.

I too have concluded this is the simplest approach. Additionally I plan to use a large case with heatsinks adhered/mounted on the inside of the case walls as well as heatsinks on each of the chips.

FYI, for the external fan/heatsink, I read a lab report that found that drawing/pulling air over the heatsink performs better than pushing air into the heatsink. IIRC most CPU coolers draw/pull air.