Making Antennas

:grinning: that’s cool. I’ve never seen an antenna like that before, but I’ve thought about it myself.

How well does it work? Can one be made like that from 1MHz - 3GHz?

Work like average dipole, just wide-band…
Yes can be done 1 to 3 GHz but you may have higher SWR on top end…
Cones must be smaller, no such cones in IKEA so you must order custom made
from copper or brass.
Stainless steel is not so good for higher freq, but you see from curve that can be used.

I bet you can make some good ones with aluminum flashing, like as used on roofing. Easy to make into cones. In some places copper is a common flashing material. Even better. A mesh material like aluminum window screen would work great. You can cut it in half with a ground plane and you have a discone. Antennas are a lot of fun. I read an article about someone who used a bridge across a river as an antenna and made some contacts. Hmmmm…, my deck has a metal framework, I think I will hook my antenna analyzer to it and see where it resonates.

Very cool Ikea hack and should be nice for Mode S reception too :sunglasses:

1 Like

What IKEA cones are you using?

http://www.ikea.com/hr/hr/catalog/products/30081467/
Regards
Djani

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Guys,

My antennas are working good. I want to say thanks for the help. I was fun learning and making them.

For the next step, I’m not sure where to start, the app forums seem inactive now. I need an app that can be a frequency counter and waveform generator. Its for a Rife-type use.

A programmer I know said he thought it wouldn’t be too hard, still hasn’t worked on it much, but doens’t know much about radio programing, so the project has stalled.

He wanted to code it from scratch in the language Haskell, but I don’t think he knows how the code should be written to control the LimeSDR, how to create different waveforms, etc. Or what languages would be best to code in.

I only know html/css. I wish I knew how to do it myself, or could find help with this. I don’t have much money now.

Thanks guys/gals.