How To: LimeSDR + GQRX + macOS Sierra (OSX)

#5

Ramsin,

Just ensure that the settings where you typed “driver=lime,soa…” also show the following:

If you have any issues past that then there may be underlying development still going on for OSX that you can pull if there’s been changes since the last time it was compiled.

Hope this helps - Cheers,

Marty (KN0CK)

#6

Thank you all for the responses.

Andrew, the test works, though I didn’t get as far as the transmit portion.

Alex, LimeSuite/Pothos was installed via homebrew, GnuRadio/GR components via MacPorts, GQRX was simply downloaded from the site. I will give building from source a shot to see what the outcome is.

Marty, no go, I’m assuming that you and Alex are on to something with there being an underlying issue with GQRX for now.

#7

The gqrx app bundle comes with everything included in the bundle and will only use what is in the bundle. It will not use any external libraries you may have installed.

Note that you have to build gr-osmosdr with soapysdr support, which in turn will need the soapylms plugin, then you can build gqrx to use the new gr-osmosdr.

#8

Holy Moley…haha, this may be over my head, but I’ll try. That explains why I kept getting

Failed to set RX input rate to 1e+07
Your device may not be working properly.

After building GQRX. Thanks for the advice Alex, I will try that now, and report back for others that might be at this obstacle.

#9

isn’t this backwards ?

soapy=0,driver=lime
shouldnt it be
driver=lime,soapy=0

#10

I don’t think the order matters but logically I would prefer “soapy=0,driver=lime” because driver=lime is actually an option passed on to the soapysdr backend :relaxed:

#11

I’m throwing in the towel for now, after several hours of trying to build this…build that…I just couldn’t figure it out. Thanks for the input everyone.

#12

Ok, so I reinstalled LimeSuite and SoapySDR through brew, GNURadio through MacPorts. I built gr-osmocom from source to include SoapySDR support, GQRX from source…and installing just about everything else related to SDRs…I’ve gotten to the point where…

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::runtime_error: soapy_source_c::set_iq_balance_mode() not supported

Anyone have any ideas?

The LEDs on the Radio itself change activity, but the program exits.

Full output for reference - Pastebin

#13

@Ramsin did you meet all the prerequisites for gqrx? I think I have seen something like that when gr-iqbal was not installed or cmake could not find it.

-Freeman

#15

Nice work @Ramsin, thanks for posting your notes!

You could be the first person on the planet to run LimeSDR + Gqrx on Mac OS X :smiley:

#16

No sir, thank you for the suggestions.

Only thing that sucked is leaving my u.fl to SMA pigtail and antennas at home…haha, luckily my workplace uses a Hytera DMR system that transmits every so often, so I was able to confirm that the radio is receiving using a paper clip.

I like the idea of being the first for something…finally, haha, now to see if I can make it a nicely packaged app…

#17

Using Ramsin’s instructions, I’ve also gotten it to work. It seemed that soapy=0,driver=limesdr did work, but driver=limesdr,soapy=0 did not.

Also, if you are getting data but no signals at all, make sure you’ve selected an antenna - the default is NONE.

#18

driver=lime,soapy=0
not “driver=limesdr”

#20

Hi!

That was promising, but unfortunately I’m hitting an ABI mismatch; I guess I’ll have to rebuild GQRX too now :slight_smile:

$ /Applications/Gqrx.app/Contents/MacOS/SoapySDRUtil --info
######################################################
## Soapy SDR -- the SDR abstraction library
######################################################

Lib Version: v0.5.3-gec5fdd48
API Version: v0.5.2
ABI Version: v0.5-2
Install root: /Users/alc/gqrx/runtime
Module found: /Users/alc/gqrx/runtime/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.5-2/libLMS7Support.so
Loading modules... [ERROR] SoapySDR::loadModule(/Users/alc/gqrx/runtime/lib/SoapySDR/modules0.5-2/libLMS7Support.so)
  lime failed ABI check: Library ABI=0.5-2, Module ABI=0.6-dev
done
Available factories...null, 

Cheers,

  • Loïc Minier
#21

Don’t run that soapyutil… You should have it installed already (/usr/bin)… What do you get if you type “which SoapySDRUtul” in terminal?

#22

SoapySDRUtil --find in my PATH just works, but I was suggesting above that the one inside gqrx.app wouldn’t since it’s built against different ABI (and indeed, I can’t see the Lime in the GQRX UI)

#23

Ok, I’ll update tomorrow when I wake up, I’m way too tired right now, haha. Goodnight until then.

#24

@lool Ok, so I tested it here, and it works fine, I will redo my steps in a virtual machine to see what is amiss. I didn’t bring my LiSDR with me to work (was in a rush this morning) but I can report back in 8 hours with my results. I’m glad you pointed this out, I really want macOS users to be able to use their lime without having to resort to VM or Bootcamp for simple testing.

#25

Ah my bad, I was building against soapysdr HEAD because I was debugging a build issue with the python formula installed; this made limesuite use the 0.6 ABI instead of 0.5.x; rebuilding the released 0.5.x soapysdr and limesuite against it makes your recipe work correctly, thanks!

Now this works:
/Applications/Gqrx.app/Contents/MacOS/SoapySDRUtil --find

Thanks again and sorry for the confusion with 0.6.x!

1 Like
#26

Whew!..haha, I was starting to wonder. Good to know you got it going. I haven’t even checked to see if there’ve been any updates…maybe I’ll mess with that a bit. Thanks for updating us on your current status.