Hermes Protocol to LimeSDR API Challenge

Ed,

Start by downloading here -----> https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

You’ll want the Ubuntu 18.04.3 Long Term Support edition. After downloading the .img file, burn the image to a DVD using your favorite DVD burner software (I use CDBurnerXP) to get a DVD to load Ubuntu onto your target PC (when selecting your target machine, make sure it’s at least an i3 to i5 (even better if it’s an i7) - - it should also be a PC with USB 4.0 ports, too…IT MUST HAVE A USB 3.0 port to run the Lime). Install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS onto your target machine, just watch the prompts and follow the instructions. In something short of 15 minutes you will have a working machine with everything you need to install LimeSuite and LinHPSDR.

After you load the OS and it’s up and running after reboot, now it’s time to install all the dependencies you need to install LinHPSDR. Generally, you do ALL your installation and compiling using Terminal and doing everything on the command line. So open a Terminal (little black screen icon to the left) and let’s get started:

Installing LimeSuite after OS load:

In terminal type (or copy paste into terminal):

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:myriadrf/drivers
sudo apt update

Then install LimeSuite and all it’s dependencies by copy/paste (or type) the following:

sudo apt install limesuite liblimesuite-dev limesuite-udev limesuite-images soapysdr soapysdr-module-lms7

Once you’ve got everything installed, try to launch LimeSuite with your LimeSDR attached and see if it comes up by doing the following on the command line:

sudo LimeSuiteGUI

It’ll launch and then you can see if your Lime can be connected - you’vr used LimeSuite in Windows, so there’s no differences whatsoever between Windows and Linux. Once you know you have your Lime running on LimeSuite, then close it and type the following into command line with your Lime still attached:

sudo LimeUtil --find

…and it’ll come back with the stats of your Lime. Then try this:

sudo SoapySDRUtil --find

…and it should come back with the same thing, just more stats on your Lime. When you see all this working, it’s time to load all the dependencies for LinHPSDR and compile it. Disconnect your Lime and let’s get started…!

Installing LinHPSDR dependencies:

On the command line of the Terminal window, copy/paste (or type) each line and execute it:

sudo apt-get install libfftw3-dev
sudo apt-get install libpulse-dev
sudo apt-get install libsoundio-dev
sudo apt-get install libgtk-3-dev
sudo apt-get install libsoapysdr-dev

To be safe, let’s install these dependencies for compiling and pulling code:

sudo apt-get install git
sudo apt-get install cmake

Now, it’s time to install and compile WDSP. So get on the command line and type the following and execute each line.

git clone https://github.com/g0orx/wdsp.git
cd wdsp
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig
cd …

Now you have WDSP installed, let’s go for the last thing - installing LinHPSDR:

git clone https://github.com/g0orx/linhpsdr.git
cd linhpsdr
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

At this point - YOU’RE SET…!! You have all the tools now to start LineHPSDR and see if it can discover your Lime. Reconnect your Lime to your USB 3.0 port and do the following from the LinHPSDR subdirectory (which is where you’re at), so type on the command line to launch LinHPSDR:

sudo linhpsdr

It’ll takes a few seconds for it to launch and when it does a window will appear that will (hopefully) show your LimeSDR connected and recognized as a radio that can start. Click on the START button on that form and then the receive spectra and waterfall will open. At that point you can tune and also change modes (USB, LSB, AM, FM, etc). I would highly recommend that you download the PDF how to run LimeHPSDR here -----> https://saure.org/cq-nrw/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/linhpsdr-user.pdf

Hopefully this will get you started and on the road to recovery. There’s still work that needs to be done on this app for HF, but it’s getting close and it’s at least a more familiar GUI to you than other apps.

Let me know if you have any issues with the build or run into any snags, Ed.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Excellent. I will work on this tomorrow morning.
Thank you, Marty.

1 Like

@AA7QQ - Ed,

Yep - just keep me advised if you run into any snags. I will be on the road tomorrow but ping me via Messenger (easier to respond there than here) with the snags and I’ll help you through it. I’m pretty well certain that this install will be clean - it now includes things that caught me and I informed John on and he included those steps into the install procedure. So it should go smooth for you.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

hi martywittrock,
I am new to this forum and i am unable to find the right group for my question. Here i am posting my question. Please help me if you know the answer.
My question is i am interfacing LMS6002D device from microcontroller. When i am trying to configure 416.8MHz frequency for TX channel, the ouput is coming 404MHz and also it is not stable means it is slowly reducing. I think i am trying incorrect configuration . Will you please guide me what is the procedure to configure TX and RX PLL’s to get the required LO.
Please help me in this regard.
Thanking you advance.
regards
NSN

@nsnreddym - nsn,

There is an entire forum for just the 6002 on Myriad and it’s located here:

https://discourse.myriadrf.org/c/general-discussion

At the same time, I would try to enlist the help of @Zack or @IgnasJ to see if they can route you to the right resources on the LMS6002 on the forum.

Hope this helps - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

Thank you martywittrock

Bumping to the top

Ed