Host for LimeSDR

Hi all.
I have a similar need: will run 24/7 unattended, headless and recording radio astronomy data.

Even if I’ve used R-PI-3 until now for other SDRs, I would not be able to use LimeSDR at a sampling rate > 2.4M using the USB 2 port of the R-PI. I already hit that same threshold with simple RTL-SDR dongles…
R-PI’s USB and ethernet go through the same USB host chip so perfs in some scenarios are not ideal.

So I’m interested in the host selection looking at both USB 3 presence, fast ethernet port, proper CPU perf, RAM availability and compatible OSs (my pref is for Debian ).

FYI: there’s a post by @g8sqh mentioning some specific issue on the odroid xu3 and xu4. They could be of some importance to some users depending on the planned usage:

Lot’s more info in that same thread:

• there’s @martywittrock mentioning he’s using an MSI Cube PC.

• about the usable sampling rate @Kc7noa writes he “can run 3Ms/s with no decimation on an Odroid-X2 AND Odroid-C2 …”

• @g8sqh also mentions the ethernet speed available depending on the board, 100 Mbps vs 1 Gbps

finally, just yesterday I was looking at UP boards http://up-shop.org/4-up-boards
they seem to have nice specs but still have to read everything.
Does anyone here have an UP board in use with LimeSDR ?

I’m also considering power needs, selecting the lowest possible in my case and not an easy topic when you also want a fast cpu…

mario

1 Like