Happy days are here again - LimeSDR lives in HF!

Maybe a parallel inductance shorting to ground protects more than no parallel inductance at all, talking about transients, not DC. Someone to model and simulate this?

Hello Marty, I hope you can help me. I bought a Limesdr and I did the MN18 modification. Only I receive nothing on the shortwave and medium wave. Above 30 MHz everything works properly. I use the SDR console for receiving. Have been busy for three days now and honestly I intend to give up. I have checked the antenna cable plus antenna and this is his order. I hope you can help me a little further.

Best regards,

Hans / PA3ETK

@hanzenman,

It’s been determined that SDRConsole V3.0 has not compiled recently with the latest LimeSDR LimeSuite drivers that allow SDRConsole to play right with the LimeSDR. Not sure why that is, but there are two applications that will play right with the LimeSDR, those being GQRX (for just receive) and SDRAngel (receive and transmit). For now, please use earlier versions of SDRAngel that can be found here:

The installation you need for GQRX can be found here:

http://downloads.myriadrf.org/builds/PothosSDR/?C=M;O=D

Either one of these will help you along with the firmware version you have for your LimeSDR - - SDRConsole does not play well with the LimeSDR anymore because it hasn’t kept track of the changes to LimeSuite in awhile.

Hope this information helps - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

1 Like

Hi,
is this modification still necessary today or is this coil deleted in the current production process?

Regards,
Jens

@DL8WOW - Jens,

Yes it is - you must remove the MN18 coil off the board for the Lowband port (RX1_L) and once that’s done you can use your lime in the HF band.

Let me know if you have any further questions on this - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

@DL8WOW - Jens,

Refer to this link for modifications ----> So, how about the Wideband Port - How's it look modified..?

73 de Marty, KN0CK

Thank you Marty!

I’m about to decide if I should buy a LimeSDR or a LimeSDR mini.
It’s my intention to use the LimeSDR (mini or not) for my own education in SATCOM technologies like DVB-S2/DVB-RCS2 and all underlying methods like GSE/RLE for IP packet encapsulation, error correction, Quality of Service.
I think with the “legacy” LimeSDR I’m more flexibel and with the Luftek enclosure (equipped with a fan) heat problem should be avoidable.

But sorry 
 It’s out of thread topic.

73 de Jens/DL8WOW

1 Like

@DL8WOW - Jens,

You can’t make a bad decision going with the original LimeSDR - - I have two of them I bought for the purpose of building my own HF/VHF/UHF rig upon, and I wouldn’t invest that much if I didn’t think it had longer term benefit and merit.

Good luck on the project - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

2 Likes

Marty un saludo, soy gabriel y estoy interesado en realizar un transceptor hf con limesdr.
Te veo avanzado en el tema y me gustaria ver como va el proyecto.
Si tienes algun link donde poder seguirlo te lo agradeceria.
Gracias y un saludo

1 Like

Hola Gabriel,

Realmente no hablo español pero estoy haciendo esta nota a través del traductor de Google. Estoy trabajando en un diseño de un transceptor de HF con el LimeSDR como el elemento central del transceptor. Trabajaré mås en ello en los próximos meses y publicaré esa información aquí para que todos los miembros tengan la oportunidad de usar la información y construir su propio transceptor de HF basado en LimeSDR. Así que por favor sigan viendo este foro para obtener esa información pronto.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

2 Likes

Podria estar bien usar el crowfunding, para comprar limesdr y regalarlo a programadores.
yo preferiria que los programadores hicieran una api para que todo el mundo pudiera programar en javascript y hacer aplicaciones web gui accesible su programacion a mas gente. y eso seria perfecto para dejar el transceptor real en remoto, accesible por lan, wifi, wan.

No te preocupes, los demas tenemos que traducir comentario por comentario, pagina por pagina, miles de personas.

Have done the Easyfix1 on my V1.4s LimeSDR-USB Type A for RX1_L Port. Mine popped off easily as well but it didn’t make any difference in my case it’s still deaf on HF and won’t even receive HF broadcast stations. All I get is noise with no signal just like the antenna is not connected. It’s a December 2019 board and I am running Windows 10 SDR Console v3.06 and SDRangle v4.4.5. It works fine for VHF broadcast stations, aircraft frequencies and 2m amateur band. Have tried every bandwith settings and channel but has not made any difference. It works just fine with my SDRPlay with same antenna so i know that’s ok but not with LimeSDR. Any other ideas.?

This is a photo of my board with the SMD coil removed below T3 for RX1_L and I did the test right after removal and found no difference prior to assembling the LufteK case enclosure and parts.

@Boult - David

First question I would have to ask is: Did the LimeSDR board work in at least VHF or UHF prior to the change? You have to know if you have a healthy board before you make the change, otherwise you take a risk of not knowing what else happened to cause the issue you have. So that’s where I need a baseline from you - did you check the receive channel you were going to modify (RX1_L) prior to the change? Please advise at your soonest so I can take this a little further.

73 de Marty, KN0CK

With Lime working ok, in compare to RSP1 you can expect on HF ->

Hi Marty,
Yes the LimeSDR board worked in VHF and UHF before the Easyfix1 for RX1_L and works after the Easyfix1. I can still receive VHF broadcast between 89-104MHz and VHF aircraft, 118-136 MHz and 144-146MHz 2m band ok on RX1-L but can’t hear anything on HF not even broadcast stations. It’s just noise like when the antenna is not connected. The antennas work fine using SDRPlay for HF, VHF and UHF just don’t work on HF for the LimeSDR.
73 de David

I have the SDRPlay RSP2 Pro which works fine on HF just can’t get the LimeSDR to work on HF with same antennas after the EasyFix1 for RX1_L but it works ok for VHF and UHF on that port before and after the mod.

MN18 SMD removed for RX1_L

2m Amateur Band on RX1_L working ok before and after EasyFix1 for RX1_L

HF Band on RX1_L no signals just noise same before and after EasyFix1 for RX1_L

73 de David

@Boult - David,

This is really perplexing because the outcome is not consistent with what happens with the LimeUSB board. When the shunt inductor (to make it functional in the V/U/S region) is removed it improves the HF path enormously and it only affects the V/UHF regions marginally. In this case it’s made very little improvement in HF and V/UHF remain unaffected. What I would recommend doing is reviewing (with a magnifying glass if necessary) to see if there’s any strands of wire, solder shards, anything that could still be across that - and other - parts of that path. Removing the coil does the trick for HF.

I’m truly stumped on this one other than what I’ve imparted on examining the path for debris - check that and in the meantime I’m going to have to think HARD on what’s happening.

More as you have it, David - 73 de Marty, KN0CK

I did check with a magnifying glass at the time of removal that all was well but have just removed the top cover again to take this picture under 5x illuminated magnifying glass and all looks good with no parts touching.

This is the local broadcasting station on 97MHz in stereo which is loud and clear on RX1_L.

The rear antenna connected to RX1_L

Board checks out ok

All looks ok here

I was hoping maybe a setting somewhere or something I’ve overlooked.?

73 de David